Tuesday, December 11, 2012

storage system for samples


A papermaking student recently asked advice about organizing and storing samples of pulps/papers she has made.  Because she is a visual learner, I sent her photos of some of the ways I have organized my samples.  This may be of interest to others, so today is a "share something that has worked for me" day.


My earliest attempt at labeling and keeping samples -- masking tape labels stuck directly on the handmade paper.  I don't recommend this as masking tape isn't archival, but there hasn't been a problem with these which were done in 1994.



For several years I placed samples in plastic sleeeves with a typed tag:  fiber content, processing, drying method, paper maker (I sometimes "traded" paper samples with others in a workshop) and date.  The plastic sleeves aren't archival either, but I haven't had problems with them either.



A plus with using the 8.5 x 11 plastic sleeves is that you can store related paper samples and raw plant fiber samples.  I began saving plant samples in 2002 when a student brought a plant to try that wasn't in my "gathering" area.



In 2001 I began participating in the Yahoo Papermaking Group Swatch Swap.  This is something I recommend for anyone interested in paper variations.  You have to "pay to play".  That is, you send in 2" x 3" samples of a kind of paper you have made (the organizer will tell you how many -- the range has been 55-80).  In addition you give the recipe (kind of fiber, processing, pressing method, drying method, etc.).  Each year the swatch book is different, but in it you receive a sample of each paper submitted and how it was made!  The samples are adhered on one edge so you can feel and look at the front and back.  The books are real treasures.  The 2012 book should be arriving soon.



In 2001 I also got my beater and decided to keep a record of the pulps I made in it.  Again, plastic sleeves in a notebook with fiber, beating times, etc.   My PAPERS FROM BEAR CREEK sample book was inspired by the first swatch swap book I received.




My intentions were good, but my reality is a bit different.  I do save samples of my pulps, but the recipe is "iffy" unless it is a new fiber.  My organized system has devolved, but the important information is there.  (I have narrowed what I think is important.)  That being said, I keep very good notes for samples I make for the swatch swap.



These plastic sleeves are for baseball/sport collector cards.  Artist Trading Cards are the same size as "baseball" cards.  These ATCs were made and traded at a Missouri Fiber Artists retreat a few years ago.  2.5" x 3.5" would be a nice size for samples.

Do you remember 35mm slides?  I have notebooks filled with plastic sleeves (with 2" x 2" pockets) containing hundreds of slides.  Hummmm.  I don't need the slides anymore.  I could repurpose the plastic sleeves for ???????  I'm thinking.  


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Leandra! It's so helpful to see how others manage their samples and references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a storage solution that works for you? Please share :-)) Thanks DK. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete