Tuesday, June 30, 2015

my riverwork square


Thank you Sun Smith-Foret for inviting me to contribute.  I am honored to be a participating artist in RIVERWORK, a 100'+ textile which will represent the Mississippi River and it's tributaries.

The Alton, Illinois riverfront will open the first installation venue on August 29, 2015.  It is planned that several segments will spill over the railing at the end of the crossover pedestrian walkway and descend down the cement wall to the grass below where they will merge into a wider and larger piece that descends to a parking lot.

You can follow the progress of the Riverwork Project on FaceBook.


My invitation followed a FB posting.
Expanding the fleet. ROW, ROW, ROW will be part of my exhibition VOYAGE at the Schmidt Art Center in Belleview, IL from June 4 - July 30, 2015.


With coaching from JWax, I made digital prints on Kona cotton using Bubble Jet Set
and fused them to a "watery" cotton.

Stitching with variegated pearl cotton echoes the rows of boats
as well as complete shapes reminiscent of rowboats.

The "watery" cotton base fabric competed with the digital prints.  Solution: trim and  replace.




No comments:

Post a Comment