Tuesday, September 2, 2014

orange kitty collage quilt

ORANGE KITTY COLLAGE QUILT

Artists are always being asked to donate artwork to auction for this or that worthy cause.  Having donated my fair share over the years, it is my policy to decline, unless I have an ongoing relationship with the charity.  Recently, a friend introduced me to NO KILL COLUMBIA.  Their goal is to provide an alternative place for those outside of Boone County to bring animals for spay/neuter services.  For more information visit their website : www.nokillcolumbiamo.org 

I challenged myself to create something "pet themed" to donate through their fundraiser ART UNLEASHED.

Inspired by my 14 year old yellow striped companion, SOL, I searched my stash of "fancy" fabrics (salvaged silks from thrift store blouses) and found the oranges speaking to me.  My "style" is not pictorial, but challenge felt right and he went together more easily than expected.  The supplementary surface stitching (ears and whiskers) was really fun.  Note: this isn't free motion, but forward straight stitching.  I probably should have named him "DIZZY" because he was turned around and around with every change in direction.

This 8" x 8" silk collage on denim piece was handed off today and will hopefully be a part of getting NO KILL COLUMBIA a bit closer to their goal.

3 comments: